17 March 2010

Politeness at a new level

Everyday when I return from work, near the bus stop that I get off there is this quaint little shop. It says 'Pioni Living'. I don’t know what Pioni really means, but the shop gave a feeling that it dealt with Christian Religious Stuff. Very pretty sculptures of Virgin Mary and angels adorn the show window. Last weekend I decided to visit it.

As I entered the shop I experienced politeness at a different level.

Generally when we are just window shopping or doing TP in a small or medium sized shop in India, the sales person will give you such a disgusted look. Or will fold all the stuff that you have opened to see even before you move away...

In some other places, they will ask with a polite smile – can I help you or the likes.

But here the lady gave her warm Finnish smile, asking if I speak English. As I nodded she asked me if I needed any help or was I just enjoying the shop.
I just smiled and said...I came to enjoy your shop. Her answer took me by surprise...take your time!

4 comments:

Venkat H said...

Its a Christian religious shop. If they were not polite, where do you look for politeness. :)

Kidding. I am just seeing the racism here in the US so its good you have a nicer experience :)

Manpreet said...

Helloooo...some of the most rudeness I have faced in our temples!

Venkat H said...

Agreed...i am talking about Christian places plus Indians have lost any ability to be polite is my general opinion. Not all Indians but most...

Elango said...

Venkat, even I experienced racism tortures surprisingly in Singapore. After such experiences, these days I prefer to be in India.

The shop lady's response needs to be appreciated. Cultured Lady...