04 August 2007

Harmandir Sahib– Amritsar


One of the places that I like to visit again and again…

No matter how much turmoil is going in one’s mind, no matter how troubled one is or stressed out, one forgets everything… there is such a feeling of peacefulness all around…

And when I go with my mom she’ll make sure we are up at 4:00 AM to be their for the 1st prayers of the day…its inspirational…Every time I have thought…why cant I be more calm and less hyper all the time…
(Unfortunately the feeling goes away once I return to the hustle bustle of everyday life :-()

It’s soooooooo beautiful…the golden temple in the centre of the Sarovar ... the holy tank. It is believed by us that taking a dip in the Sarovar cures one of all illnesses…

As small kids my mom would take us there often, but my first memories are of a summer when I was about 12…maybe 13 yrs old. For 21 days, we went to the temple every morning at 4:00 AM, took our dip in the Sarovar, followed by doing a Parikrama - walking around the circumambulatory path which runs round the main temple. This then leads via a bridge to the ‘Har ki Paure’ (steps of God).
Somewhere in between the Parikrama is a tree – the Dukh Bhanjani Beri – Healer of Sorrows. It is believed that doing a short prayer here is sure to get you out of all your problems. My mom swears by it!!!
And finally eating a full bowl of the Karah Prasad… the Sacred sweet.

For non Sikhs who feel like visiting Harmandir Sahib, no worries. It is open to all. The Golden temple, unlike most other temples having only one gate for the entrance and exit, has 4 gates. The significance of this is that it is accessible to every person without any distinction of Caste, creed, sex and religion.

Hmmm… feel like going there right away…Its going to be nearly been 2 years since my last visit :-(

No comments: