05 September 2007

A White Christmas in Aberdeen – Dec 2004

It’s not that I’d never seen snow before….I studied in Dehra Dun (Doon Valley) and many times when it snowed in Mussorie, the kiddies (Class 1 – 3) would be taken up to Mussorie to see the snowfall…but it was always after the snow had fallen…and not during the snowfall…

Imagine my excitement …one typical morning ( a few days before Christmas) I open the door of my building ….everything is totally white…It was snowing….I could not control the skip in my walk…and as I crossed the road there was this car at the traffic signal covered in snow… I just could not resist….its as if there was music in the air coz skipping along I whiffed off the snow from the car with my hand…The driver looked at me …initially with a lil irritation but I guess happiness showed on my face and he could not help but gimme a smile…

At work too… my colleagues seemed to sense my excitement… someone comes up and says…Manpreet…have you ever made a snowman…its fun…u should try making one in the office garden during lunch time… I look at him… it did sound fun… but I knew everyone would think I was crazy…sensing my apprehension he offers to give me company… but with a lot of difficulty I let sense prevail and tell him its not such a good idea…not a done thing in office… but I made up for that as I went to Duthie Park during the weekend and made a snowman ….

As I was leaving for lunch, another colleague comes up…he’s worried…he wants to tell me to be careful while walking on the snow but at the same time does not want to sound rude and make me feel ignorant and foolish…he’s like…see my shoes…one needs a good grip while walking …especially since after some time the snow becomes very slippery…one should walk slowly and put one’s foot firmly on the ground…(I think all he really wanted to say was …stop hopping and skipping along on the road)

Perfect end to a beautiful day... as I walked out of office that evening …Phut…I got hit by a snow ball …from nowhere…and I was reminded of a Calvin & Hobbes strip …reproduced below

All Calvin and Hobbes images are copyright Bill Watterson

No comments: