18 January 2008

Tare Zameen Par

I watched this movie quite some time back- the first weekend after its release…
I simply loved it…and cried a lot while watching it. Initially I thought that I was the only emotional fool, but who ever I talk to seem to have been moved by it.

A friend, who I hear from once in a blue moon, mails to tell me that I should go watch the movie...Another friend calls from India and the 1st thing she says – go watch Tare Zameen Par…

Well, I expected the movie to be good….Aamir Khan is after all a perfectionist. He always seems to do movies that leave a lasting impression.
Just thinking and most of my fav movies are his movies.– DCH, Sarforosh, Lagaan, RDB and now this one.

The movie is all about a dyslexic boy and how no one including his family realizes that. They think that he is just not interested in studying and is simply naughty. The movie begins in the life of a happy and care-free boy Ishaan Awasthi, played by Darsheel Safary and moves on to how later he feels he is being punished when he sent to a boarding school and the trauma of separation from his family that he goes through…and finally how Aamir Khan as his art teacher helps him come out of that and overcome his difficulties with reading and writing…

The other message that I liked about the movie was the emphasis on creativity and how it has no value in our academic system…

Darsheel Safary is fabulous…the show stealer…and his character is so well sketched… The contrasts are amazing…
Initially when he is punished and made to leave the class, he thinks its Bindaas…and is break dancing outside the class…
Later in the movie, when again he is punished in the boarding school and made to leave class he is totally lost and so scared. One just wants to hug that boy then. And one realizes that he has changed so drastically …become so quiet from the naughty boy who would jump on the kitchen top to pick up the fish bowl from on top of the fridge, grab a sandwich as his mom shouts at him to wash his hands…even his clothes are clean now…earlier he looked like a typical naughty boy returning from school…shirt out, mud marks all over his clothes, laces and tie undone…

The song ‘mein kabhi batlaata nahi’ is THE MOST TOUCHING song I have heard...it just brings tears into your eyes...

Well…overall a brilliant movie and if you haven’t seen it…don’t give it a miss…

No comments: